[Tfug] Microsoft reportedly wants open source software users to pa y rolyalties

Sean Warburton hl2addict at gmail.com
Thu May 17 17:53:20 MST 2007

I even heard that Microsoft will begin charging per use. The icon will be
there (or whatever), but you will be charged a monthly fee for use. This is
all speculation, but greed can be a very motivating force.
Also, Doesn't Vista have something in the code that reports activity to
them, and they then notify proper authorities about illegal activities done
on your computer? If it is libel and slander intended to harm Micrisoft,
then yeah, whatever, but if not, wow. Talk about 'big brother'. Who do they
report to when they see the FBI is doing what commisar Gates thinks is
wrong?

On 5/17/07, Anthony Hess <runenfool at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now you're just making stuff up :)
>
> The "look and feel" lawsuit loss had absolutely nothing to do with Xerox
> and
> everything to do with the fact that Microsoft had better lawyers.  They
> licensed the Mac OS System look and feel to make Microsoft Office for Mac
> back in the 80s (I think it was just called Excel and Word back
> then).  They
> took that and used it on their operating system.
>
> The Mac was a very different user interface from the Xerox one.  Windows,
> on
> the other hand, was much more like the Mac than either was like the Xerox
> OS.  Windows 95s and on explorer interface was probably more NeXTish than
> Mac-ish - Gates just loved to copy Jobs no matter where he was.
>
> Tony
>
> On 5/17/07, George Cohn <gwcohn at simplybits.net> wrote:
> >
> > I think this whole thing is just MS trying to scare off folks from using
> > open source because it's starting to make a dent in their empire.
> >
> > Read "Dealers of Lightning: XEROX PARC and the Dawn of the Computer Age"
> > ISBN-10: 1842030000, also available in paperback.
> >
> > Most of what MS markets today was invented by Xerox in the early '70's
> > while Bill Gates was still in high school.
> >
> > The infamous case where MS sued Apple over the GUI was thrown out of
> > court when it was discovered that they *both* stole it from Xerox.
> > Gates even admitted that to Apple.
> >
> > The impact of Vista seems to be a large *thud* to the corporate world so
> >   the philosophy of MS seems to be "If you can't innovate, litigate."
> >
> > George Cohn

Windows Vista Ultimate beta (build 5600)
Ubuntu 6.10 (dual boot)
ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium
Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
dual eVGA 7900 GT OCs (full x16 SLI)