[Tfug] Microsoft reportedly wants open source software users to pa y rolyalties

Anthony Hess runenfool at gmail.com
Thu May 17 17:14:23 MST 2007

Now you're just making stuff up :)

The "look and feel" lawsuit loss had absolutely nothing to do with Xerox and
everything to do with the fact that Microsoft had better lawyers.  They
licensed the Mac OS System look and feel to make Microsoft Office for Mac
back in the 80s (I think it was just called Excel and Word back then).  They
took that and used it on their operating system.

The Mac was a very different user interface from the Xerox one.  Windows, on
the other hand, was much more like the Mac than either was like the Xerox
OS.  Windows 95s and on explorer interface was probably more NeXTish than
Mac-ish - Gates just loved to copy Jobs no matter where he was.

Tony