[Tfug] Upgrade motherboard and processor without OS reinstall?

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Wed May 16 15:15:40 MST 2007

I have searched and found conflicting information regarding
whether or not I can upgrade my motherboard and processor without
reinstalling my OS. Here are the specs:

Board:     MSI KM2M Combo L
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2100+
OS:        Debian Etch (standard i386 kernel)

So, what do you think? Can I upgrade without reinstalling? Are
there any limitations? One piece of info I found said that if I
stick with the same northbridge, I can probably do it.

Also, does anyone have a motherboard and processor they will sell
to me (I always try recycling first)? It would need to be at or
above the specs of the one listed above.

Thanks!

--
Glen