[Tfug] Asterisk VOIP Class

Jon bigj at flatwan.net
Wed Mar 28 17:47:06 MST 2007

George Cohn wrote:
> Last night I was talking to Ron Evans, the department chair for CIS at
> Pima Community College West Campus
>
> He thinks we can still get a class going for VOIP this fall even though
> the printed catalog is already out.
>
> It would be a CIS298T class, probably 4 credits and running for a full
> semester.  We are thinking that the only time a classroom would be
> available is Saturdays.  This would be a traditional class, taught in a
> classroom, not online.
>
> While it would be nice if everyone could make every class, it might be
> possible to miss a few classes and only show up for the midterm and
> final.  Web based material covering the subject would be available on-line.
>
> A prerequisite of Linux experience or CIS 137, the introductory Linux
> class would be desirable.
>
> Most of the class would be configuring files in the command prompt mode
> so a knowledge of VI, VIM, Pico, or Nano would be necessary.
>
> The Linux distro used would be Debian.
>
> No prior knowledge of traditional telephony would be needed as that will
> be covered in a session or two.
>
> VOIP is the future of telephony and I think every Linux admin would find
> it interesting.  The tentative textbook would be "Asterisk - The Future
> of Telephony" by O'Reilly, ISBN-10: 0596009623.
>
> I am trying to get a feel for how many are interested.  15 is the
> minimum to make the class run.  A tentative syllabus is at
> <http://www.jcsaz.com/cis221/voip_class.doc>
>
> George Cohn
> Tucson AZ

I would highly recommend *not* using the O'Reilly book for this class or
anyone looking for basic knowledge of Asterisk. I own this book (someone
bought it as a gift for me) and though is does cover details of Asterisk
configuration and use I find it frustrating to read. It's basic premise
is, "It's a software PBX and it can do stuff but we won't provide you
details on how to do it."

I'm not looking for hand-holding in a book but it better provide details
of features and offer up useful real-world examples. Not just a "It does
stuff" approach. I would also recommend there be plenty of traditional
telecommunictions implemented in to the class material as it is a very
important piece to understanding how it all works.

Hey but anyways, rah for Pima and the staff working to make this happen.
Hopefully people will take advantage of this opportunity.

--
Jon