[Tfug] Asterisk VOIP Class

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Wed Mar 28 17:03:54 MST 2007

Last night I was talking to Ron Evans, the department chair for CIS at
Pima Community College West Campus

He thinks we can still get a class going for VOIP this fall even though
the printed catalog is already out.

It would be a CIS298T class, probably 4 credits and running for a full
semester.  We are thinking that the only time a classroom would be
available is Saturdays.  This would be a traditional class, taught in a
classroom, not online.

While it would be nice if everyone could make every class, it might be
possible to miss a few classes and only show up for the midterm and
final.  Web based material covering the subject would be available on-line.

A prerequisite of Linux experience or CIS 137, the introductory Linux
class would be desirable.

Most of the class would be configuring files in the command prompt mode
so a knowledge of VI, VIM, Pico, or Nano would be necessary.

The Linux distro used would be Debian.

No prior knowledge of traditional telephony would be needed as that will
be covered in a session or two.

VOIP is the future of telephony and I think every Linux admin would find
it interesting.  The tentative textbook would be "Asterisk - The Future
of Telephony" by O'Reilly, ISBN-10: 0596009623.

I am trying to get a feel for how many are interested.  15 is the
minimum to make the class run.  A tentative syllabus is at
<http://www.jcsaz.com/cis221/voip_class.doc>

George Cohn
Tucson AZ