[Tfug] battery life, power management and windows vs linux

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Wed Mar 21 20:29:59 MST 2007

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 07:59:21PM -0500, Jeremy D Rogers wrote:

>Changing the refresh rate range or using 16 bit depth in the xorg.conf
>file results in badness for me. In this case Badness  = no video out
>on either X or console after restarting X, along with some strange
>panics on reboot. I think that will end my attempts to play with
>refresh rate or bitdepth for now.

To the best of my knowledge, I have never seen a LCD which is multisync.  Not
that they don't exist, mind you, I've just never been witness to one.

As for the 16bpp issue, I can actually help you there... or at least explain
what happened.  I have a desktop ATI Radeon card in my PC and just recently I
was attempting to get System Shock 2 to run under Wine.  It runs, but *very*
slowly.  Turns out it runs in 16bpp.  X was running in 32bit and had to
convert everything.

So, I told X to start in 16bpp instead and... nothing.  Upon rebooting (this
killed the screen, but not the machine) I looked at the X log and learned that
the proprietary ATI fglrx driver does not support 16bpp at all.  :(

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.