[Tfug] battery life, power management and windows vs linux

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Wed Mar 21 17:59:21 MST 2007

> I also was looking at the ATI config tool under windows and noticed
> some interesting options like dropping bit depth and refresh rate when
> on battery. Sounds like Sean may have been on the right track as well.
> I did some checking on how much the (simple acpi reports) battery life
> changes when changing the GPU clock freq and voltage using aticonfig
> (part of the non-opensource fglrx driver). It only adds around 15-25
> minutes of battery. I will try bit depth and refresh rate next and see
> how much that helps.

Changing the refresh rate range or using 16 bit depth in the xorg.conf
file results in badness for me. In this case Badness  = no video out
on either X or console after restarting X, along with some strange
panics on reboot. I think that will end my attempts to play with
refresh rate or bitdepth for now.