[Tfug] Note of Passage

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed Mar 21 09:11:10 MST 2007

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, erich wrote:
>     No, I don't eat quiche, (It's too salty for me), but I have programmed
> in Pascal. Borland Turbo Pascal, (Remember them?) I liked the speed
> with which it compiled (On a 386). It seemed much faster and more
> efficient than a MS C compiler that I had at my disposal at the time.

I really liked Borland's Turbo Pascal. The editor was great too.

I started programming with BASIC (I don't know what versions) on Timex
Sinclair 1000 and some old Apples. And then on some TRS-80 and TRS Color
Computers and then Commodore 64 and Vic 20. And around that time I started
learing USCD Pascal on HP workstations. I also learned some LOGO
programming. Then Borland's Turbo Pascal. I used it to write a ton of apps
for MSDOS environments: bulletin board software with modem handling,
application menu and file management menu (the first software I actually
sold), text-based games like Game of Life clone of board game and a lot
more. I also learned a little assembler programming using debug on 8086
and using DOS INT 21 calls. And in assembler, I wrote some TSR
(backgrounded) keyboard handlers, including so we could easily powerdown
our video screen on HP 110+ laptops (without having to exit what you are
currently running). Then in the 1990's, I started learning other
languages.

Never learned fortran though ...

  Jeremy C. Reed