[Tfug] Note of Passage

erich erich1 at copper.net
Wed Mar 21 08:52:17 MST 2007

Fortran is alive and well,

    There are, (especially scientific), applications that have
source in Fortran. I have to re-build my gcc compiler with the fortran
USE flag enabled in order to work with some applications.

    No, I don't eat quiche, (It's too salty for me), but I have programmed
in Pascal. Borland Turbo Pascal, (Remember them?) I liked the speed
with which it compiled (On a 386). It seemed much faster and more
efficient than a MS C compiler that I had at my disposal at the time.

    This was in the days of DOS when we had to "shoe-horn"  everything
into 640K using overlays.

    We should be reminded from this that computer technology never
really dies even though the people that invent it are mortal.Why
DOS is still alive too. See:

                      http://www.drdos.com/

                                                           Erich