[Tfug] Meeting Room

Shawn Nock nock at email.arizona.edu
Fri Mar 16 13:44:43 MST 2007

joealwine at juno.com wrote:
> The Tucson Computer Society has a meeting room!
> Check calendar at www.aztcs.org for dates and times. Most of the time the room is not being used. Membership is required!

Hmm... $45 per person, per year. For a room. Pretty steep price. How
about our new "members" wanting to bring a box in once in a while for a
little help. Are we to be the "geek squad" / fundraisers for TCS? I'd
feel like a giant tool...

> We have a projector already set up for presentations.
> We need to upgrade out Qwest DSL (256) to higher speed and install wireless, but we will be doing this soon.

Slow internet... That'll make those net installs painful.

> You can bring your food and drinks (no Beer).

Why no beer? Is TCS a dry club? So far, I'm not sold on this TCS idea.

> Quiet, except when Luke's is playing their music real loud.

Hmm... Consider an alternate marketing tactic, like lying.

> Tucson Computer Society needs more members, and members who can fill the positons of President and Vice President to keep club in operation!
> Everything is already set up, just need more people with energy and desire to keep this organization going.
> This is an opportunity to increase knowledge of Linux in the community.

Explain to me how our renting a room once a month for too much money
would be "an opportunity to increase knowledge of Linux in the
community". At best we'd increase knowledge of Linux in the community
willing to pay $45 dollars for the privilege.

> So, how many TFUGers would be willing to pay the $45.00 per year membership?

Very few, I'd imagine. Several people have already mentioned alternative
sites that sound better. The advantages of TCS membership (that I can
find on the website) are pretty limited: reduced price for classes
(which probably, like your society, seem to favor the windows learning
crowd), membership on the listserv, a newsletter, and this room.

I get too many newsletters, I am on too many listservs, so I personally
don't think I could get $45 a year out of the whole deal.

> You could spend more than this at one or two of the bar meetings.

You are right, I could spend that much on beer! That does sound like a
great alternative to the TCS room. Thanks!

But seriously: We need a room not a pitch for your club. It (correct me
if I am wrong) looks like a windows support group. Seriously, there are
several people on the TFUG list who work for the U, any one of us could
get this done.

I may sound pissy above, but I don't like unsolicited spam during my
lunch break. Last time I checked this was a tfug list, I am pretty sure
I didn't pay for the privilege of being on the TCS one.

Peace out,

Shawn
- --
Shawn Nock (OpenPGP: 0xB64200E1)