[Tfug] BSD flavors: Is CD2 required?

Neil Short neshort at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 11:47:36 MST 2007

--- Matthew Patenaude <mnglfiddle at gmail.com> wrote:

> I downloaded the two ISOs. One says CD1 and the
> other CD2. Are both needed?
> What is on the second CD? This is of course for
> FreeBSD 6.2.
> Matthew

You don't need CD2; but since you have the ISO, why
not burn it?

The second CD will come in to play if you want to
install any precompiled packages. If you skip that
step and install packages later you won't need CD 2.

Some packages are on CD1 (as many as will fit) and CD2
has a bunch more. These are the most popular packages.
If you want something more obscure you will need to
install the packages later.

You'll find things like KDE, GNOME, Mozilla, GIMP...
on the two CDs.

My window manager of choice, for example (Blackbox) is
not on the install CDs; so I always install it later.

======
Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, for all his works are truth, and his ways are justice; and he is able to bring low those who walk in pride.
Daniel 4:37