[Tfug] Lenovo ThinkPad T40

Ranjan Grover ranjan.grover at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 22:10:13 MST 2007

My 2 cents -> Thinkpads are probably the best laptops out there as far
as hardware compatiblity with linux is concerned. The only problem I
have with my T42, as Jim mentioned is with the ATI video card. There
is a problem with getting this card to shutdown during ACPI sleep and
so the power drainage during sleep is quite bad and drains the battery
about 5X quicker than it should. So basically if you have a choice
between getting a T40 with an Intel graphics adapter vs. ATI, I'd go
with the Intel.

Another plus with thinkpads is www.thinkwiki.org which has
comprehensive install instructions for most thinkpad models with
various linux distros. I'd written one myself for Debian/Sid on my
T42.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Debian_Sid_on_a_ThinkPad_T42

Ranjan