[Tfug] [OT] Dakotacom / NewEdge

Jon bigj at flatwan.net
Mon Jun 25 15:26:12 MST 2007

Jim Secan wrote:
> I know some Dakotacom folks lurk (some more quietly than others) on this
> list.  I've been notified that Dakotacom (my ISP) is severing ties with New
> Edge, which is going to require changes to the services I get from
> Dakotacom (New Edge was my DSL provider via Dakotacom).  Can anyone tell me
> what's going on?
>
> TIA
> Jim
> *---------------------*-------------------------------*
> | Jim Secan           | Northwest Research Assoc, Inc |
> | (jim at nwra.com)      | 2455 E. Speedway, Suite 204   |
> | (520) 319-7773      | Tucson, Arizona 85719         |

The customer base using this service has decreased dramatically over the
years. It was declining when I worked there. This is due to the wide
availability of broadband throughout the city and outlying areas. Back
in the day if you couldn't get cable or DSL this was a viable, though
sometimes costly, alternative.

I suspect DakotaCom's margins dropped to where they were losing money on
it. An alternative to their New Edge product will be their wireless
product or SimplyBits wireless.This is assuming you can't get cable or
Qwest DSL. I'm preferential to SimplyBits' wireless as they use Motorola
Canopy equipment. I would research both as an option though.

--
Jon