[Tfug] What to do with extra work requests

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Mon Jun 25 00:44:11 MST 2007

On 06/23/2007 01:04 PM, keith smith wrote:
> I made the below post on the AZPHP list and am wondering what
> your input might be.
>
> [snip]
> I am not able to handle most of the work.  And as I continue to
> work on my website and get more traffic, I suspect more
> requests will pour in.
> [snip]

It depends on your goals. Do you want to remain a one-man shop,
or do you have hopes of building a team? Do you want to work on
small, medium, or large projects? The strategies you choose need
to reflect the goals you have.

If your desire is to grow a team, you probably want to contract
out some of the work. The goal of this is not only to accept more
contracts, but also to find someone to hire or partner with.

Regardless of the strategy you might consider prospecting your
clients. Repeat after me: it is okay to turn away a prospective
client if they are not a good match. Here are some questions that
we use at my company to help us determine if a client is one we
want to work with.

1. Do you have domain knowledge of the industry?
2. Is the project budget higher than the minimum we have set?
3. Is the client likely to have larger projects in the future?
4. How much money is the client willing to pay right now?
5. Does the client have a yearly budget for the website? IE. Are
   they dedicating money to it next year too?

Best of luck!

--
Glen