[Tfug] *Way* OT: Swamp coolers, ACbrrs, etc.

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 20 17:36:33 MST 2007

--- Matthew Shucker <mshucker at arizona.edu> wrote:

> On 6/18/07, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > But, beyond that, it gets murky.  I.e. early in
> the
> > day, the outdoor temperature *tends* to be on the
> > rise.  So, even if the above conditional is false,
> > it may be foolish to run the cooler since it will
> > soon be *true*.  And, once all that moisture has
> > been introduced to the house, running the ACbrrr
> > thereafter puts a greater load on the ACbrrr to
> > *remove* it (to achieve a given level of cooling).
>
> Your last point is the important one, I think - the
> *least* efficient thing
> to do is switch back and forth, because the AC and
> cooler work against each
> other.  So there's no equation; you use the cooler
> until you feel like
> you're sleeping in a broken water bed, then you
> switch to the AC. ;-)  The
> guys who installed my cooler actually recommended
> manual dampers (so I have
> to go on the roof to switch between AC and cooler)
> specifically because it
> makes people less likely to switch back and forth
> excessively and waste the power.

Well, perhaps for the "Unwashed Masses"...  but, I
think for a *thinking* user (or, a machine that
does the thinking *for* you!) having the ability
to *easily* use both is a big win.  Previously,
we had manual dampers.  So, it discouraged you from
switching over to ACbrrrr until you *knew* the
cooler was operating well below its maximum
efficiency.  Or, conversely, switching to ACbrrr
too early when the cooler could still effectively
do the job!

I like the automatic damper -- though I have serious
concerns about how well it *seals*!  :<