[Tfug] Tfug] *Way* OT: Swamp coolers, ACbrrs, etc

Felix Tilley fetilley at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 18 23:38:29 MST 2007

1.  The swamp coolers are ineffective when the dew point exceeds 55
degrees F.  Also, you need to replace the excelsior or what ever, every
year.  I used to run my swamp cooler when the dew point was 65 degrees
F.  Totally useless.

2.  Don't switch between swamp cooler and air conditioning in the same
season, as this may rust your furnace.

3.  Drain the swamp cooler when mosquito season starts.  And seal it
off.  West Nile virus isn't funny.  This is usually in August.

4.  If you encounter any Cajuns, tell them a swamp cooler is not a cocktail.

5.  Running a swamp cooler is the difference between $80 per month and
$200 per month in electric bills.

6.  A window or door has to be open to exhaust the air.  This can allow
cats or other varmints to get in.

Felix in Tucson