[Tfug] *Way* OT: Swamp coolers, ACbrrs, etc.

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 20 17:15:16 MST 2007

--- George Cohn <gwcohn at simplybits.net> wrote:

> Bexley Hall wrote:
> An HVAC acquaintance tells me that 30 F is about the
> best temp differential you can get, assuming the
> humidity is low, like < 5%.

Yes -- and good pads, good water flow over them, etc.
(I added a second pump to our previous cooler and
noted a significant improvement in cooling as the
pads were kept *soaked*)

> You might want to add a humidistat outside to take
> that into account.
>
> Something like:
>
> if humidity < 5% and temp outside > 85 then run
> cooler
> else
> if humidity is > 10% and temp outside > 85 then run
> A/C
> &&
> if temp outside > 110 then run A/C

I was thinking of something more "deterministic".
E.g., the second conditional is quickly overrun
as humidity climbs pretty early in some seasons.

Also, they ignore the current *indoor* conditions.
E.g., if it is currently 70 inside (which is often
the case in the early morning as we draw the cooler
morning air inside), then just leave the windows
CLOSED and don't run *anything*!  We can usually
coast until a bit after noon before the indoor temp
rises to a point where cooling (of some sort) is
required (e.g., 80F).

I think the ruleset required to do this effectively
is a lot more involved than just a few naive tests
(like the ones I originally presented).  :<  But,
then again, that's the value of an expert system!

> Actually embedded control stuff is cool.  Circuit
> Cellar magazine deals with it a lot.

CC Ink's level of sophistication is about that of
a regular "thermostat"  :<