[Tfug] iMac G5 and Linux

erich erich1 at copper.net
Thu Jun 14 11:11:19 MST 2007

See:
          http://mirror.espri.arizona.edu/gentoo/releases/ppc/2007.0/

    I'm not sure of iMac g5 (32/64 bit?) I went here, (only for an alpha),
and obtained the CD image and managed to boot my alpha into the
world of Gentoo. Video is a problem with older (video) card arcitectures,
but it's not Gentoo's fault. Xorg-x11 is focused on supporting newer
graphics cards/features, and is putting older ones on a back burner.
I think it's going badly. It's all part of the effort to modularize X11.
Video drivers for various video cards, (such as Trident), don't work
or integrate properly when once they did.
    As of this writing my alpha only runs in console mode (It has
S3 Inc. 86c968 [Vision 968 VRAM]), and Xorg-X11 hasn't figured
out how to integrate this legacy card with it's new modular format.

                                                          Erich