[Tfug] 501 HELO requires valid address

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 07:09:15 MST 2007

On 6/13/07, Jeremy C. Reed <reed at reedmedia.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2007, christopher floess wrote:
>
> > I'm setting up Sylpheed with multiple accounts, and I got gmail set up,
>
> My wife has been using Sylpheed (and Sylpheed related for a few years
> now).
>
> I recall that Sylpheed sets its hostname based on a reverse lookup on its
> local IP. I had same problem because in my /etc/hosts, the first result
> was non-FQDN (just one word). I changed the order of the /etc/hosts line
> and it solved my problem. It's been awhile but I think that was my
> problem. (My hostname was already correct -- fully qualified.)

Well, that sounds reasonable. Problem is that when I did a 'what's my ip'
google search, I got a hostname of ip70-171-xxx-xxx.tc.ph.cox.net.
Setting it to this didn't help though, so I'm not sure what I should set it
to. I'll check 'man hosts' later when I have more time. But, it seems that
as simple ip address wouldn't work here. Being on a home network
with cox service, that hostname is the closest thing I have to a FQDN.

Based on what you all said, I would expect that host name to work. This
brings up an interesting point that I've always wondered about: w/o a
domain name assigned to your ip address, what should one set their
system hostname to?

Also, it seems as if this is really a Sylpheed thing, not an smtp server
problem, seeing as how thunderbird gets mail through. Or is it possible
getting a valid host name that the server likes from some other place?

~ Chris

>   Jeremy C. Reed

Q: What did the zen buddhist say to the hotdog vendor?

A: Make me one with everything ~ Dr. Jonathan Katz