[Tfug] My experience "recovering" Windows compared to installing Debian

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Sat Jul 28 12:54:59 MST 2007

On 07/28/2007 12:45 PM, Robert Hunter wrote:
> On 7/28/07, Glen Pfeiffer <glen at thepfeiffers.net> wrote:
>> I rebuilt a computer for a family member on Thursday, and renewed
>> my dislike of Windows.
>
> windows "recovery" recipe:
>
> Leave a small partition on the drive, big enough to hold a
> "ghost" image.

That's a pretty good idea. I had considered doing that in the
past, but never got around to it. I suppose it is probably
easiest to use *nix tools to make and write the image instead of
finding free Win tools. Thanks for the idea.

> I have a fully functional debian system at home that was
> originally installed with potato, and since then has been
> upgraded "in vivo" with woody, sarge, and now etch.  I suppose
> in the windows world that would be equivalent to upgrading from
> NT4.0 -> W2K -> XP -> Vista.  Um, yeah, I'd like to see that
> one. ;-)

No kidding. Aside from the awesome amount of time it would take,
I would venture to guess that it would never be "just right".

--
Glen