[Tfug] "Linux is a forking mess."

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Fri Jul 20 19:10:36 MST 2007

On Jul 19, 2007, at 9:36 pm, Ashley Pritchard wrote:

> I feel the article is very correct. There are too many
> distributions to be able to compete for the PC with microsoft.
> Linux will never be able to win over the desktop without a
> standardized distribution.
Well I disagree with that. The *more* distributions there are, the
more chance each one has of being adopted.

For example, in the animation industry, RHEL/CentOS is used alongside
Macs. Disney prefers Photoshop on Wine rather than risk it bringing
down an entire machine. That kind of distribution isn't appropriate
to a games user, even though they're doing very similar things (fast
3D, large media files, etc.)

A standard "CEO" build of Linux would have to have calendaring that
an assistant could manage; and user-empowered delegation of duties
(rather than depending on a sysadmin to grant rights etc). This would
depend on a variety of server software; but take away the server, and
you've got something approaching the "Grandma Millie" distro
discussed here a while back.

Your big CEO goes out on the road, (s)he needs a slaptop that can
connect to any wireless AP without any tinkering. Same as the writers
and goths down at Raging Sage. Other coffee addicts are going to need
an AMP environment to show off work to their clients.

Then there's the professional musician, amateur musician, computing
hobbyist, the electronics tinkerer, the software developer, and a
million other dedicated uses for a computer.

So: a standardized distribution ... for *what* exactly? Doing bugger
all, like Windows? Or tinkering like Mac OS?

Any OS distribution has to be a good platform for the software; but
you get conflicts. This is why turnkey products are available for
things like Maya, Soft|XSI and Avid|DS -- it's not just the hardware
they're selling. It would be ludicrous for a Hollywood editing studio
to expect Avid|DS to run on a PC from Circuit City, yet *that* runs
your standardized distribution of Windows...

Hm. Taking stock of that, it would be nice to see distros that
feature a particular set of apps oriented round a particular task or
role:

  - video editing
  - music recording/editing
  - 2D/3D animation