[Tfug] "Linux is a forking mess."

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Fri Jul 20 18:41:36 MST 2007

On Jul 20, 2007, at 12:56 am, Robert Hunter wrote:

This appears to be the root of your argument:

> And how much did you pay for this software?  What more do you want?

Some people invest quite a lot of money in free software. I'm saying
Ashley bought RHEL, but it probably took him a while to get it
working right. If time is money, then how much do you pay for your
free software?

You're conveniently forgetting that "free" has meanings other than
"costless", and all of them are relevant to Linux.

> Well, I'm glad that you've worked out that you are not a Linux
> fan.  So, that raises the question:  what brings you to TFUG?

While we're putting words in each others' mouths, I suppose you think
there's only One True Way to Linux Fandom and it's your way or the
highway? No, this is a broad church -- or if religion ain't your
thing: this is a restaurant that caters to meat eaters, raw foodists
and everyone in between.

I *partially* agree with Ashley that there is too much bickering over
worthless nuances. Actually, it's the publicity that's given to such
bickering. I'm sure corporations have their share of in-house
ideological bickering over some feature or other, but these are
regulated by good management, not by blog commenters...

A perfect example: I can't recommend Debian to anyone other than
someone who's already very familiar with Linux, because of dogmatic
crap like "Iceweasel". It's like that bloody Basil Fawlty saying
"Don't mention the war!", ffs. If it weren't for that embarrassment,
Debian would perfect for the desktop.

R.