[Tfug] [OT] Domain name registrars: picks/pans?

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Mon Jul 9 18:00:52 MST 2007

On Jul 9, 2007, at 5:33 pm, Jon wrote:

>> What has that to do with Godaddy refusing to take down spammers'
>> domains? Red herring perhaps?
> It was really a suggestion that making snap judgments regarding
> someone else's experiences should be taken as only a small part of
> a good evaluation.
It wasn't a snap judgement. Moving along...

> If you used your methodology to evaluate something of greater
> importance in a large corporation and had to back your results
> you'd be laughed out of the company.
If I used the methodology you *assume* I'm using, then maybe.

> People get sick all the time in fast food establishments. Everything
> single company and location. You gonna stop eating there if you hear
> about one person getting the poo poos?
Red herring sushi probably has fish mites. So yeah, I'd be *wary*!

> Why contact GoDaddy regarding spam?
Ah! The real question.

Spammers are in the habit of using fraudulent registration details.
That's why. Fill in the rest yourself.

> The network it resides on should be the only organization involved.
> And to be honest, if you have time to sit and report spam at such a
> low level you have too much time on your hands. Null route and move
> on :)

Thrrp -- If you don't have time to do it you're working harder, not
smarter!

> Yup, myself and the majority of the free world use them so yes I
> must  work for them. Thanks for blowing my cover!
Well that obviously isn't what I was suggesting. By analogy, I guess
if you eat red herring sushi you don't want to know that it has high
levels of mercury and contains fish mites... or if you drive a full
size truck, you don't want to be told that full size trucks are bad
and nasty (oh cripes now I'm in for it)... Similarly with your domain
registrar.

Another case of "agree to disagree" Jon, Tyler?

R.