[Tfug] [OT] Domain name registrars: picks/pans?

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 17:11:22 MST 2007

I think what he was referring to was the comment about controversies.

The internet is a scary place and there are a number of rumors floating around about how different registrars have failed to hit the mark of being totally honest and exercising true integrity.

Problem is we have not had a seat in the jury box and had a chance to examine the facts first hand.

On the other hand we spend $8 or $10 ... maybe $40 for a domain and feel a sense of ownership to that digital property.  The domain might be worth untold millions someday.  However we do not have the clout to back it up.  I'm not sure there is a good resolution system for the protection of virtual property.

Rich <r-lists at studiosprocket.com> wrote:
On Jul 9, 2007, at 2:34 pm, Jon wrote:

> Not spammers! Oh my! C'mon. Things like this happen. Spammers
> deliberately end up on a network like that by procuring services or
> by means like malware/viruses on innocent machines. I'm sure if you
> ran that business area though you'd have it shaped up in no time at
> all.
We're talking about the ORIGINATING domains for the spam; not some
poor innocent Windows user or open relays. Godaddy refused to take
those originating domains down.

> And like Wikipedia hasn't had their share of bad publicity in the
> past:
> http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2005-11-29-
> wikipedia-edit_x.htm.

What has that to do with Godaddy refusing to take down spammers'
domains? Red herring perhaps?

Anybody would think you're involved with Godaddy in some way... whois
flatwan.net... whois cactushosting.com

Oh... ahem.

R.

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org