[Tfug] [OT] Domain name registrars: picks/pans?

Tyler Kilian vaca at grazeland.com
Mon Jul 9 17:04:39 MST 2007

Were the domains HOSTED by godaddy, or are they simply the
registrar?  Is it a registrar's obligation to lock a domain for any
given "inappropriate use?"  As far as I know, there is no ICANN
provision that states a spammer cannot register a domain name and as
far as I know there is no provision for a registrar to make these
value judgments.  Even if so, would you want a registrar doing this
anyway?

Simply put, it's the responsibility of an ISP--not a registrar--to
curtail spam originating from their network and even that process is
very difficult to enforce to the standards that people like you
entail.  It's very easy to state that an ISP should "stop spam," but
if you have to actually work in the industry, you'll see that the
process is much more difficult.  Ask any ISP admin and they'll tell
you a horror story about an inappropriate use of RBL, for example.

Lastly, I should mention that you are on a FREE UNIX list...I'd have
suspected you didn't want the corporate "man" to shelter you from the
big bad spammer.  it's generally against the grain of open source
groups such as TFUG to want someone making arbitrary assessments of
what is appropriate or not.