[Tfug] Install problem

Robert Hunter hunter at tfug.org
Mon Jul 9 11:09:23 MST 2007

> I have set up a new computer with a dual boot situation using winXP and
> Ubuntu. I had it working fine but later forgot the password I had created
> for the Linux side. I know dumb, dumb, dumb!! So . . . I decided to
> simply
> reinstall Ubuntu.

Perhaps a bit late for this suggestion, but if you forget your root
password, there is no need to reinstall.  You just need to boot from a
boot disk, mount the root partition, and edit /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow.
 The exact details are given at many web sites.

http://www.google.com/search?q=recover+root+password+linux

--
Rob