[Tfug] List of packages required to make a good Debian Desktop system

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Thu Jul 5 17:03:00 MST 2007

On 07/05/2007 03:23 PM, Jude Nelson wrote:
> I'm assuming you're talking about packages you'll need AFTER
> installing Debian's core and default desktop environment
> (otherwise, there would be hundreds of base packages)?

Yes, that is correct. And when you consider that the default
desktop environment includes OpenOffice, Evince, etc, the list of
packages are quite few. By my own criteria I should have excluded
Iceweasel and Icedove since they are included in the default
desktop environment.

The following things you mentioned are included in the default
desktop environment:

	openoffice.org
	totem
	synaptic
	update notifier
	gnome-terminal
	openssh
	cups
	evince (pdf reader)

> <> Additionally, how about amaroK?  Better multimedia player
> than xmms, IMHO.  Or maybe MPlayer?
I was considering trying amaroK. And I have heard that mplayer is
better than totem, so will give that a go too.

> <> I notice you don't have an mp3 codec listed.
I am a little fuzzy on when an mp3 codec is needed. For encoding
only? I can play my mp3's and I have not manually installed any
mp3 codecs.

> <> Also, maybe some better games?  Like gnome-games?  Maybe
> Armagetron, Doom, Tux Racer, BZFlag, etc?
I know it may be odd, but I don't play games. I only included the
children's games because of my daughter.

> <> vi or emacs?
Yes, I suppose I should have listed it, though I never forget
vim. If it isn't there, vim-full is the first thing I install.

> <> Gnome network manager?
I will check it out.

> <> Maybe some music archive software?
I have used the "library" in Rythmbox (and WinAmp before my
conversion), which is included by default, but I have never liked
how they are implemented. I prefer to find what I want in a
directory structure: artist -> album -> tracks.

> <> K3b, in my experience, is a better choice than gnomebaker,
> IMHO.
I will try it out.

--
Glen