[Tfug] List of packages required to make a good Debian Desktop system

Jude Nelson judecn at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 15:23:58 MST 2007

I'm assuming you're talking about packages you'll need AFTER installing
Debian's core and default desktop environment (otherwise, there would be
hundreds of base packages)?  If so, have you considered these?

<> How about an office suite (i.e. OO.org would be nice)?  Also, maybe gedit
for simple text-editing?
<> Additionally, how about amaroK?  Better multimedia player than xmms,
IMHO.  Or maybe MPlayer?
<> Don't forget Totem for watching movies! (although I'm partial to Kaffeine
for watching DVDs).
<> I notice you don't have an mp3 codec listed.
<> Also, maybe some better games?  Like gnome-games?  Maybe Armagetron,
Doom, Tux Racer, BZFlag, etc?
<> Maybe also Synaptic for graphical package management?
<> Update notifier?
<> Terminal app?
<> Maybe also OpenSSH client/server?
<> vi or emacs?
<> Gnome network manager?
<> Gnome's printer configuration software?  Maybe CUPS?
<> A PDF reader? (xpdf will do)
<> Extra screensavers?
<> If you have a half-decent GPU, maybe Beryl or Compiz?
<> Maybe some music archive software?
<> K3b, in my experience, is a better choice than gnomebaker, IMHO.

I'll think of more tonight :)

Regards,
Jude Nelson