[Tfug] Security website

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Wed Jan 31 12:29:46 MST 2007

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 09:50:29AM -0500, lukkystarr at excite.com wrote:

> I was doing some research for setting up my network, and came across
> a great page explaining how routers work, and how they can be worked
> into a LAN successfully.  I started checking out the source of the
> webpage, and the guy, Steve Gibson, seems a bit of an alarmist.

I recall that back in my DOS days, I found his hard drive recovery
tool (Spinrite?) to be the only (inexpensive) tool that could salvage
some severely corrupted drives that I had.  And, so, I've always given
him props for that.

I haven't looked at his site in years but, last I was there, it seemed
that it wasn't so much that he was a kook when it came to security
but, rather, ignorant.  Most of his "discoveries" were things that any
admin would know; it's just that he was coming from the DOS world of
non-networked computers.  "Yes, Steve, that's called a port.  It's how
one computer communicates with another."  Etc.

It's also important to realize that, at one time, he was primarily a
journalist.  Which is where the sensationalism comes from.