[Tfug] Security website

john galt johngalt1 at uswest.net
Wed Jan 31 11:24:41 MST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: <lukkystarr>
To: <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 7:50 AM
Subject: [Tfug] Security website

> I was doing some research for setting up my network, and came across a
> great page explaining how routers work, and how they can be worked into a
> LAN successfully.  I started checking out the source of the webpage, and
> the guy, Steve Gibson, seems a bit of an alarmist.
>

> Anyone follow this site?
>

> http://www.grc.com/default.htm
>

> I was just wondering if I should be as 'alarmed' as he claims I should be.

I don't think you should be alarmed, just understand that security threats
Gibson talks about exist. Don't ignore them, IMO.

If you have iptables installed and configured well on your internet
connected PC or firewall - and/or- use a firewall appliance connected to
your internet, cable modem DSL (whatever) you are pretty well covered
against threats. Use his ShieldsUp scanner to test (portscan) your internet
connection.

Gibson appears on former Tech TV host Leo Laporte's webcast, Security Now
from time to time. I beleive that venue is where Gibson claimed some
conspiracy theory concocted about Microsoft, which was later recanted.

Reference
http://www.podnova.com/index_top40.srf

Some tfuggers took exception to my calling Gibson a kook once (or was it
fruitcake?) So, others aren't as critical as I am.

IMO, his influence is positive overall, just temper any hysteria with a
little common sense.