[Tfug] OT: Cox cable

rfs_lists at mac.com rfs_lists at mac.com
Mon Jan 29 13:28:03 MST 2007

On Jan 27, 2007, at 10:51 pm, Tyler Kilian wrote:

> Using someone's wireless takes up finite resources, such as bandwidth,
> IPs, CPU cycles, etc. Is it necessarily service affecting?  Not in
> most cases, but it still is using resources someone else pays for.
...which they weren't using at the time. Even if a particular
wireless router can only serve 10 DHCP IPs, it's highly unlikely all
ten are in use at once. This only adds weight to the argument that
usage of unsecured networks is not worth prosecuting.

> The
> only analogy one can use for open vs. secured wifi netsorks that
> really
> makes sense is the "locked door" analogy, IMHO.
It kinda works, but it fails at many levels, IMNSHO :-) Just because
it does work at some levels doesn't make it a strong analogy -- same
as "the Internet is a bunch of tubes".

1. Consider what's at stake. A door gives access to material
possessions such as Jon's panty drawer. Accessing a wireless network
gives access to a resource that is designed to be shared. It does not
in itself give access to private records such as bank details, or
make such access very much easier.

2. Differentiating intent. A secured door can be left open by
accident from time to time. A wireless network is either secured or
it's open. The distinction between "intentionally open" and
"mistakenly open" is not at all clear from the information available.
On the other hand, a secure door which was mistakenly left open says
"Stay out". I would suggest that it is reasonable to assume, given
the general awareness of wireless network security, that an open
network was left open intentionally. Grandma Millie's might be left
open through ignorance of security and of the people who are stealing
the bandwidth she wasn't using anyway. She's probably ignorant of her
proximity to rats as well.

3. Warnings. You can stick a notice on an unsecured door saying
"PRIVAT KEPE OUT". A wireless network presents no such opportunity,
besides naming. And it would be pretty stupid to name an open
wireless network "PRIVATE".

There are a couple more exceptions that break the analogy for secured
networks:

4. Doors can be locked in multiple ways. Wireless networks can only
have one active level of security. Some might have to be less secure
for older computers.

5. To access a locked door, you have to have the physical key.
Passwords are more like combination locks. http://
fringe.davesource.com/Fringe/QuasiLegal/Simplex_Lockpicking.txt

"Door" or "drafting", they're both full of holes.

R.