[Tfug] OT: Cox cable

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 26 18:07:22 MST 2007

Problem is if you are the "test" case you will spend tens of thousands to clear your left if you argument is the prevailing one.  I tend to like your argument, I'm just not up for the hassle.

JD Rogers <rogersjd at gmail.com> wrote: On 1/26/07, keith smith  wrote:
> Isn't that illegal and comes with a nice prison term?
>
> Since you would be gaining access w/o permission?

I'm pretty sure this still has never been tested in court. I would
think the first time this goes to court, it will depend greatly on the
quality of the lawyers for each side. However, my opinion is that when
you see an unsecured wifi access point, it is broadcasting an
invitation to connect. When you connect, you are simply accepting this
invitation. Otherwise, how would it be any different than connecting
to a coffee shop. Now if you break into a weakly secured AP (i.e.
crack the wep key using kismet something), that would be a whole
different issue.

In the end, I say if the AP is left open, it should be considered fair
game and if the default on most AP's is open, that is the fault of the
manufacturer AND the owner for not changing the settings.

My $0.02
JDR

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options: