[Tfug] qwest high speed internet and linux

Joel Howard johord at gainusa.com
Mon Jan 22 12:15:55 MST 2007

Harry McGregor wrote:
> How about manually setting an address in the right range
>
> ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
> ifconfig eth0 down
>
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.25 netmask 255.255.255.0
> route add default gw 192.168.0.1
>
>                    Harry

I got DHCP installed last night and found out about pump in the
documentation. Pat made up a slack pkg. for it and I also installed
that. I altered my /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 file to look like the description
for Slackware given in the dhcp readme. I did the address setting
suggested above with no problem, rebooted, and now ifconfig -a looks
like this:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:22:BA:09:86
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:11 Base address:0xd400

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
LOOPBACK MTU:16436 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

Trying to load 192.168.0.1 now causes the browser to just sit and spin
instead of returning the "problem loading page" message. Pinging self or
loopback just hangs. None of the lights on the qwest modem changed --
internet light still red. DSL, ethernet, and power are green. pump -i
eth0 gave back "operation failed" after a good pause.

Not sure what tests to do at this point. Thanks for any suggestions.
JH