[Tfug] qwest high speed internet and linux

Steven Bowers steveb7 at simplybits.net
Sat Jan 20 20:51:38 MST 2007

I see a few others have already provided some good information and I'd
like to add a bit more. Before I do just me say

"The following opinions or statements expressed are my own and should
not be taken as a position, opinion, or endorsement of Simply Bits."

We have several customers running Linux and BSD systems on DSL
connections. I've personally spoken to them and can tell you they are
running various Qwest supplied DSL devices - Actiontec 152x, Cisco 67x
and of course the Actiontec GT70x. We even have one customer running a
Cisco 2600 series router with an aDSL wic installed. So the short answer
is "yes it is possible and it does work".

The software to which you refer is probably for initial setup. It's
probably not needed, but I've not laid my hands on a 2-Wire unit to
personally confirm that.

Support, whether from Qwest or any ISP, is another matter. While I have
some Linux and OpenBSD skills I would have no idea how to help a Solaris
user, let alone anyone running Plan9 or even VMS. Operating system aside
it comes down to this.

1. Do you have a computer directly connected to the DSL device?
2. Do you have a link light?
3. Is your computer configured for DHCP?
4. Can you ping 127.0.0.1, your own IP, the gateway IP, the nameserver
IP, etc.

As long as you are familiar with your operating system and how to change
various settings then the tech should be able to help you.