[Tfug] My Opera browser has malware

Brad Becker investmgmt at s91195370.onlinehome.us
Fri Jan 5 21:53:37 MST 2007

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 21:34:09 -0700, Ranjan Grover
<ranjan.grover at gmail.com> wrote:

> Could you perhaps give more details on how you got infected / or why
> you think you are infected? Have you tried just deleting all your
> cookies? I have cookies from mediaplex.com as well and as far as I can
> tell, they don't do anything to affect my experience.

Well, when your browser goes to mediaplex.com instead of mail.yahoo.com
it's NOT an infection,
just a scratch?  Removing the mediaplex cookie within Opera was
ineffective ... it returned.

Next, Opera was closed, then the .opera/cookies4.dat file was deleted.
Opera was also set this time to only accept cookies from the site I visit,
not just a universal 'accept cookies' default setting apparantly used
beforehand.

> I'm using Opera 9.1 build 521 and Debian/Sid and am long term Opera
> user.  Even if something was infected, you can probably (as was
> earlier suggested) rename the .opera folder to a different one and
> restart the browser to create a new .opera folder. Honestly, I will be
> quite surprised if the binary executable itself got infected. If it
> did, then it's probably more of a Linux security issue than opera.
> This is of course under the assumption that you are not running every
> application with system-wide or super-user privileges.

Nope, not running root.

> If you do see that that after the new .opera folder, the mediaplex
> stuff is gone, try transferring files from your .opera_old to the new
> .opera folder and see where the problem lies.

Yes, will try those other suggestions if need be.