[Tfug] hd tuner recommendations

Joshua Bernstein bjosh at engr.arizona.edu
Tue Feb 27 14:41:30 MST 2007

> So if I understand you correctly, I don't really need the HD tuner
> card for PVR application. I can use my existing SD tuner card for PVR
> stuff and connect the HD output of the DirecTV box to the LCD HDTV to
> view HD signal. So basically, I can record SD, and view HD, but not
> view recorded HD. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thats correct.

If you do not have an HD PVR card, you'll only be able to record shows
in standard definition. If you want to view HD programs direct from the
DirecTV services, you'll want to change inputs on your TV, to view the
source directly from the DirecTV box. If you want to use the Myth box,
you'll switch the TV back to the other input, and only be able to view
standard definition content.

-Josh