[Tfug] hd tuner recommendations

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Tue Feb 27 14:41:36 MST 2007

Ranjan Grover wrote:
>> Actually it should work with the SD output of an HD box just as well,
>> just down sampling your HD content.
>>
>> You will need an IR Blaster to make it work.
>>

> So if I understand you correctly, I don't really need the HD tuner
> card for PVR application.

Sorta
>  I can use my existing SD tuner card for PVR
> stuff and connect the HD output of the DirecTV box to the LCD HDTV to
> view HD signal.
yes
>  So basically, I can record SD, and view HD, but not
> view recorded HD. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You can also record SD HD, that is down sampled HD, it will actually
look rather good when compared to standard SD, but it won't look as good
a true HD.

Sat HD PVR is rather difficult, as all of the outputs are uncompressed.

None of the HD set top boxes that I know of have a ieee 1394 output either.

                                        Harry