[Tfug] distro question - x86_64

Michael Schultheiss schultmc at cinlug.org
Wed Feb 14 19:05:55 MST 2007

Matthew Patenaude wrote:
> Thanks, that helps a lot. I appreciate the info. Does anyone know what
> the latest Knoppix version is? I have been working overseas and just
> got back. I didn't have a good internet connection, so all I have is
> Knoppix 3.7. I saw that 4.something was on the Knoppix site with a
> 5.something as a *.de.iso available. Is that only in German. I am
> afraid that if I use too old of a distro it might barf at the new
> hardware. Any ideas?

If your distro of choice barfs, feel free to ask questions on list.
Some of us might have already dealt with the issue.

According to the Knoppix BitTorrent site
(http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/), the latest version is 5.1.1 which
is available as a DVD or CD ISO in English or German.

> I like Ubuntu as well. I am waiting for CDs to come in the mail. I
> ordered the 6.06 stable. Is that as reliable as the previous stable
> Ubuntu?

6.06 is the first LTS (Long Term Support) version of Ubuntu.  It's
supported for 3 years from initial release on the desktop and 5 years on
the server.  I've heard of stability problems with 6.10 (although I use
it myself daily and haven't encountered any issues) but 6.06 should be
extremely stable.