[Tfug] vsftpd security

Brian Murphy murphy+tfug at email.arizona.edu
Wed Feb 14 12:16:18 MST 2007

Quoting Joe Blais <joe.blais at pti-instruments.com>:
> Being new to Linux, and perhaps more of an idiot than not, how can I tell if
> someone is doing this to one of our machines?

Look in /var/log/messages and/or /var/log/secure.

> I have one Linux box that I use as a file server (cvs files) for
> development, and a few others just for programming and testing.  We sit on
> our office network, microsoft stuff, and I can see all our office servers.
> My boss wanted me to make sure no one could get onto our Linux boxes and get
> to the windows stuff.  Other than the firewall that came with Fedora 5 and
> not being logged in as root, I'm not doing anything else.

You should make sure that automatic updates are enabled.  The command to
run is "chkconfig yum on".

More info can be read at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/Download#head-401670b2382a3433df10ca789579146c370583f8

Fedora is a fast moving distro.  Since you are using this as a CVS
server, you should consider switching to CentOS when FC5 is end of
lifed.  Everything you know about Fedora will transfer to CentOS
nicely.

Brian

The opinions or statements expressed herein are my own and should not be
taken as a position, opinion, or endorsement of the University of
Arizona.