[Tfug] distro question - x86_64

Michael Schultheiss schultmc at cinlug.org
Wed Feb 14 11:50:43 MST 2007

Matthew & Carrie wrote:
> The system page says that it has a 32 bit operating
> system on it. That is confusing to me, as it is a Turion 64 X2.
> Shouldn't it have a 64 bit operating system?

It can - it doesn't have to though.  x86_64 CPUs are backwards
compatible - they can run 32 or 64-bit operating systems.

> That having said, can I run a 32 bit Linux on it? a 32 bit LiveCD like
> Knoppix? Can I even run a 64 bit Linux distro on it?

Yes - you can run either 32-bit or 64-bit Linux/Windows/BSD/whatever

> Does anyone have a distro recommendation for this machine, or can
> someone answer my question about whether or not this machine will run a
> x86_*86 distro, or does it need a _64 distro? Also, can I use a regular
> LiveCD to run something like QtParted to partition this machine?

A regular LiveCD should work.  I like Debian and Ubuntu personally.  I
don't have a 64-bit laptop so I don't have any specific recommendations
though.