[Tfug] vsftpd security

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Tue Feb 13 16:33:01 MST 2007

I found some idiot from an external ip address "banging on my door" and
trying a dictionary attack.

I added his ip address to the deny list in the router to stop him.

I have vsftpd running on the machine and have it checking attempted
logins against a user list and denying them if they are not on the list.

What I would like to do, is if they guess the right user name, give them
one attempt at the password then lock them out for 30 minutes.  I use
very good passwords of letters, numbers, and punctuation.

Any quick way to do this?  This is on a server running Debian sarge.

George Cohn