[Tfug] xubuntu wifi configuration / troubleshooting

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 11 21:19:01 MST 2007

Hi All,

Having difficulties with my new install and getting my d-link working.

O/S : xubuntu 10
Toshiba Satellite Laptop
wifi : d-link 2.4 Ghtz
base : DI-624
PCMCIA : dwl-650

I installed xubuntu.
Ran iwconfig – nothing showing.
Ran apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-generic
reboot
Used the the network settings GUI as installed on Xfce.
Entered the ESSID & set to DHCP.
Turned off encryption on the DI-624.

When I run iwlist scan

My Wireless shows with the ESSID as set on my laptop.

    * Shows encryption key:off
    * Mode:Master
    * Channel 6 (i tried to change this on the DI-624 but it stays at 6.

When I run iwconfig

-it shows the same ESSID, Frequency, Access Point as does iwlist.

When I do a /etc/init.d/network restart it shows:

    * wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801
    * later it shows dhcp address 192.168.20.102 obtained.

When I ping the gateway 192.168.20.1 I get “destination host unreachable”. Works from another computer.

Ping of 192.168.20.102 is fine.

Any help much appreciated,

Keith

Keith Smith