[Tfug] More "Millie" stff

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 21:16:24 MST 2007

As far as solving hardware conflicts with more hardware goes, I kinda take
the cake :).

I live in a motorhome.  My net connection is a Verizon EVDO
account...basically a low-grade-DSL speed cellular modem on a PCMCIA card
(Kyocera KPC650).

That card just doesn't get along with Linux.

$250 later I scored a Kyocera KR1 external router/firewall.  It has one
PCMCIA slot for the Kyocera and turns that into WiFi and plain Ethernet.  It
also moves that high-powered cell device away from my nuts :).  Worth every
penny.  I use it all the time, not just for personal connection,
but....fr'instance, somebody's XP system was fried by a virus and a reformat
with the original laptop recovery CD got them to XP circa 2001 - not good.
I was able to get them online and downloading updates via that external
firewall, protecting them until I could armor-plate the durned thing.

But the real original reason for buying the box was to solve a Linux
hardware conflict.

Jim