[Tfug] Wi-Fi deployment

Robert Hunter hunter at tfug.org
Mon Feb 5 21:01:36 MST 2007

It looks like the Wi-Fi usage of the office where I work has finally
reached a critical point -- the single-router-amateur-solution that we
currently employ just isn't cutting it any more.  We need coverage for
the entire office building, ( one level, and about twenty offices ).  I
also would like to be able manage the whole thing easily.  I don't like
the idea of having configure every AP individually for things like
encryption keys, and access restrictions.

I've been reading about open source firmware projects for Linksys
routers, and I am considering experimenting with them.  I've also heard
about authentication systems ( e.g. RADIUS ) that are used in this
context.  I envision ( perhaps naively ) being able to do this upgrade
with a handful of inexpensive APs/Routers installed with opensource
firmware, and perhaps a crusty old Linux box running a RADIUS server.

Does anyone have any suggestions or references for this kind of thing?

TIA,

--
Rob