[Tfug] Thinking linux

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at northwestern.edu
Sun Feb 4 12:10:12 MST 2007

I may be wrong, but from the point of view of someone very familiar
with another free unix, I would say the main difference in distro's
will just come down to package management. Since you are the type who
will be comfortable under the hood, the variation in fluff won't
matter much, so you can pretty much just choose between:
*.rpm based (ughh!!.. trust me, just stay away.)
*.deb based (debian, ubuntu, etc, etc.)
source(ish) based (slack, gentoo, linux from scratch)

You would probably learn the most from LFS, but getting started might
take a while. Gentoo has pretty stellar documentation. The network
installers for debian or ubuntu are great (dowload 20-50MB iso, burn,
boot, and install everything you need from the net). I'm guessing
gentoo has something similar.