[Tfug] Thinking linux

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 10:28:02 MST 2007

Ok, I have an extra computer at home, and would like to run linux on it. I
know this could turn into a long thread, so let me narrow the scope of
discourse by giving you some background. Noob-friendly isn't really an issue
for me b/c I've been on FreeBSD for four years now. I basically want the
best for getting to know the ins and outs of the linux environment. That
having been said, I would think that the Ubuntu variants might not be the
best way to go because I don't want to spend a bunch of time trying to
dismantle the user friendly veneer, just to get at the guts. I don't know
the distro that well, so maybe it's not such a big deal. Let me know. I had
a friend who was fond of slackware, but that was some years ago, and
considering how many cd's it takes for the install, I think that the
slackware of old might have had a different intended audience. Again, this
is simply speculation, so chime in. Is it worth it to pay for the slackware
dvd set? I've pretty much avoided the freebsd package system, and prefer
something that has a good porting system. Doesn't debian fall into this
category? Any way, the only reason I'm even looking is b/c I've enjoyed my
time w/ freebsd, and would like to expand my  horizons. That's it. fire away
with your opinions, everyone.... oh, one more thing. I would like the two
systems  to be networked, and after the install, the linux box will probably
have to funtion as a headless system.

--
I worry about viruses like I worry about terrorists