[Tfug] Memory woes

Christopher Robbins robbinsc at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 23:16:46 MST 2007

I've been running SUSE for quite some time now, and I've never had any real
issue with it.  My Athlon64 3000+ combined with a meager 512mb of RAM was
good enough for even
the most memory-hungry apps.

But all that has suddenly changed.  I recently installed SUSE 10.2 x86-64,
and my computer has slowed down considerably.  The stupid *#@#$* thing
thrashes about and everything works at a
standstill.  I recently added a gig of memory, pushing the system to
1.25gigs, and nothing's helped.  I don't know where to start digging,
because
everything seems screwy.  KDE processes are taking
100-150 mb of memory.  I've got (at present time) 2 ssh connections, and
sshd is reporting 120mb of memory devoted to each process.  The mythtv
backend is swallowing another 400mb.

I don't understand - this hasn't been a problem in the past.  I don't think
it's a window manager issue either, though I do understand that my use of
KDE may be a factor...

Any thoughts?

-Chris
--