[Tfug] Windows desktop visual development tool

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Wed Dec 26 22:31:32 MST 2007

On 12/26/2007 10:06 PM, keith smith wrote:
> I'm looking for a Windows desktop visual development
> tool to do stuff like:
> 1. scrape website content
> 2. pass through CAPTCHA  challenges

Have you considered any interpreted languages like Ruby,
Python, or Perl?

They all have excellent facilities for scraping website
content. Regarding passing through CAPTCHA challenges, this
will be handled by a library in the language, not by the
language itself. I believe there are libraries for all the
languages mentioned above, but you'd be better off searching
for them and not trusting me.

As for *visual* development tools, which I interpret to mean
integrated development environment:

Komodo: http://www.activestate.com/Products/komodo_ide/

Eclipse with the extensions/plugins:

  Ruby Development Tools (RDT):
  http://rubyeclipse.sourceforge.net/

  PyDev for Python
  http://pydev.sourceforge.net/

There are others too.

> 3. would like a light weight database

SqlLite is a light weight database. There is no server
component, and there are libraries for all the
interpreted languages mentioned above.

--
Glen