[Tfug] different window manager ubuntu

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 21:57:13 MST 2007

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 20:39:58 -0700, Claude Rubinson
<rubinson at u.arizona.edu> wrote:

> (Reformatted to get the discussion in order.)
>
>> On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 07:58:36PM -0700, christopher floess wrote:
>> > Hey, I'm trying to figure out how to set a different window
>> > manager in xubuntu 6.06. Any ideas? I come FreeBSD
>> > and there I just edited .xinitrc.

  ~/.xinitrc file is responsible for behaviour of your X session only if
you start X from console with  startx.

If you use xdm (X desktop manager) you need to edit ~/.xsession in order
to describe your X session (which window manager, panel if any,
etc). You can just link existing ~/.xinitrc file to  ~/.xsession if you
just started using xdm.

The above is not OS or linux distro specific.

Since you are using gdm (gnome desktop manager) you need to edit
/usr/local/bin/gnome-wm (probably /bin/gnome-wm since it is Linux not BSD).
As the Ubuntu is tightly integrated Desktop environment most likely you
are going to brake something.

Look at this how to

for Openbox on Ubuntu as it should work for any other WM in a
gnome-session on Ubuntu. That should be safer way to play with WM.

Cheers and happy holidays to everyone from the beaches of Honduras:-)

Predrag