[Tfug] The littlest Linux box...conceals in a closed fist.

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Fri Dec 14 00:31:42 MST 2007

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 08:15:02PM -0700, Jim March wrote:
> Anybody heard of the Rockbox project?
>
> http://www.rockbox.org/
>
> They started doing iPods but have branched out into supporting other
> similar critters, including mine.  Sansa actually encouraged Rockbox
> development on their devices including giving both inside details AND
> free units to the Rockbox team.  So remember guys: FOSS support by the
> Sansa corp is as good as it gets - BIG thumbs up.

Actually, Rockbox was first developed for the Archos players, then
ported to iRiver, and eventually to iPod, SanDisk, etc.  I put Rockbox
on my iPod Nano and would definitely prefer an Archos or iRiver.

Anyhoo, if you don't happen to know about Rockbox, see LWN's review at
http://lwn.net/Articles/169103/.  LWN reviews are always a "best of
the bunch" (IMNSHO) but what always grabs me about this review is how
it gets to the heart of what free software is all about:

    The list could go on for a while, but one should not forget the
    nicest part of all: Rockbox is free software. Your editor did not
    feel particularly oppressed by the proprietary iRiver firmware,
    but switching to a free system still brought a sense of relief. So
    many things were clearly designed with the users in mind, and one
    knows that the rough edges (of which there are still many) can be
    fixed. With Rockbox, this gadget has become a living thing, rather
    than a set-in-stone consumer product. Rockbox would be worth
    running for its free nature alone, even if it weren't better in so
    many other regards.

Claude